WordPress is the most popular CMS on the planet as of today. WordPress Hosting is one of the significant topics and many businesses evolve around it. Most of the businesses have at least one business website on WordPress apart from their other online applications.
As WordPress has increased its footprint across businesses of varied verticals, size, requirements, traffic, etc., there is also a challenge that every organization has to face is regarding hosting, performance, and security of the website.
WordPress Hosting could be a challenge if you do not select the right provider or do not upgrade to the appropriate capacity as your visitors grow. We usually like to classify the WordPress sites we host in one of the 3 categories.
Lite Static Website
The objective of such websites is to ensure an online presence with a low visitor rate (not more than 200 per day). Such websites are mostly informative and are not transactional. Such websites can be hosted on shared hosting providers at a low cost. The hosting and security are managed by the provider using their internal systems and any security incident, performance issues can be resolved with the help of a developer and support from the hosting company.
The business websites are owned by medium-scale businesses to ensure online presence expecting higher reliability and performance. Such websites should be hosted on a VPS where you have more resources available and better control. Having your own VPS will also allow you to customize and implement your own security and performance mechanisms.
Transactional or Business Website
At times, your WordPress website is crucial to carrying the actual business. For example, it is the source of customer registrations, shopping, sales or payment collection. In such cases, the reliability, and performance of the website are critical as any downtime may cause a direct loss to your revenue. In such cases, you may have to look for very reliable, controlled infrastructure providers such as Amazon Web Services, Digital Ocean, MS Azure, etc. Along with the website being hosted reliably, what’s also important is to have a backup and recovery mechanism in case of downtimes.
A Few tips to maintain your WordPress Website effectively:
- Make sure you are only using the required plugins. Uninstall plugins that are no longer in use.
- All the plugins are updated regularly. It is important for your website’s security and stability.
- Update WordPress version regularly for security updates as well as new features
- Update your theme regularly. Always implement a child theme to avoid overwriting your theme changes during the upgrade.
- Use at least one security plugin such as Wordfence, All in One Security to make sure you are on top of security issues
- Use a strong password and configure your login page to limit the number of login attempts. This will save you from brute force attacks.
- Use a Firewall if possible. This will save you from DDoS attacks and from unrecognized traffic. Cloudflare is worth checking out.
- Use a Content Delivery Network to serve static files. Again, Cloudflare can be a good choice for this
- Back up your WordPress site regularly, including files and database.
- Use at least one SEO plugin such as Yoast SEO or Rank Math. This will give you an edge to optimize Search Engine Results without much help in a limited way.
- Keep checking your website’s performance regularly using Google Page speed. Regular content changes, theme, and plugins updates may affect it over the time.